Everybody has their own way of organizing things for storage. Over the years we have observed some very interesting packing methods like the “toss and throw” method of packing. You toss everything into your car or truck, and then throw it into your storage space. If you prefer not to use the “toss and throw” method we highly recommend the following:
- Clearly mark each box with its contents.
- Recycle, sell, give away, or discard any item that you don’t want.
- Purchase packing supplies such as tape, bubble wrap, packing paper, furniture protectors, mattress protectors, and boxes several weeks before the move.
- Use mostly uniform sized boxes when packing (small, medium, & large) - doing so will pay off when stacking boxes in a truck or storage space.
- Pack heavy objects in small boxes and light objects in large boxes.
- Mark “fragile” on boxes containing breakable goods.
- Bubble wrap and packing paper should be used to protect breakable items.
- Use ample amounts of packing material when packing electronics.
- Never pack boxes with too much weight.
- Fill boxes completely by filling empty spaces with packing material.
- Disassemble large or bulky items such as bed frames and tables. Use tape to attach nuts and bolts, so you don’t lose them.
- Place bags over the ends of washing machine hoses so water doesn’t leak out.
- Defrost and thoroughly dry residual water from freezers.